Meet Our Distiller, Taylor
MB Roland Distillery would like to introduce our distillers, the folks responsible for the continued success of what we do here.
Taylor Davidson Tolleson first started working for MB Roland Distillery as a side gig from his regular job working for a large farming operation. He helped out on weekends during events, directing traffic and parking.
Taylor holds a bachelor’s degree in agriculture from Austin Peay State University and received a lot of hands-on training with chemicals, crops, equipment, and seed varieties. His love of bourbon and how it is made drew him into coming on as a full-time distiller.
Here are some more Q and A’s to get to know Taylor!
Q: How long did it take you to become a Distiller?
- A: Paul would say to me, it takes 6 months for someone to become comfortable with the equipment and a year to be good on your own. After all these years, I am always learning. After a while you learn certain sounds and smells to expect and what to watch for if something is off.
Q: What’s the best part about your job?
- A: I would say it’s actually creating things. I mean, there’s an art to it. You have to love what you do. Making a new product and putting it into a barrel for a year, then to taste what it becomes is awesome!
Q: What is your favorite MBR product?
- A: I would have to say the wheat whiskey and there are certain single barrels, of course, that have been phenomenal!
Q: Do you have a favorite cocktail made from MBR products?
- A: An old fashioned all the way made with Small Batch or even single barrel.
Q: Of all the animals at MBR, who is your favorite?
- A: Red, the orange cat, he’s my buddy.
Q: When giving a tour, what is the most asked question about the distillery?
- A: “Do we rotate our barrels?” Apparently, some of the big guys do this. We see no need to move a barrel that can weigh 600 pounds any more than we have to.
Taylor went on to say, “I am 36 years old and married to the love of my life! I have a 7-year-old son who knows more about bourbon than most young men and a 20-month-old daughter that has me wrapped around her little finger!” He adds, “I love being a dad and making bourbon for MB Roland!”
On a personal note: “I had very serious heart surgery two years ago. Paul and Merry Beth were very supportive of me during recovery and the time I had to take off. I will forever be grateful to them for that.”
Find more information on our MB Roland products here.
MB Roland Distillery is a completely “grain to glass” craft distillery located in Pembroke, KY. We use local white corn to hand make each of our products ranging from our very unique “distillation & barrel proof” Kentucky Bourbon to our naturally-flavored Kentucky Pink Lemonade. For more information, stop by and visit us or visit our website today.