Rye Whiskey – The Spicier Sipper
If you haven’t tried a Rye Whiskey yet, here’s what to expect from this bold spirit from MB Roland Distillery
Let’s start off with the basics of Rye Whiskey. Much like our bourbon, Rye Whiskey has to adhere to some legal guidelines:
- The “Mash” has to be made up of at least 51% rye grain
- The initial content can’t be any higher than 160 proof (roughly 80 percent alcohol)
- Must be aged in a new charred barrel
Rye is known for its peppery bite and spicy flavor. In contrast to bourbon, you could say the difference is like having a slice of rye bread or a piece of cornbread.
At MB Roland, our rye whiskey is created in the style of the Pre-Prohibition era spirit; uncut, unfiltered and bottled at distillation and barrel proof.
It’s a full-bodied and barrel proof spirit, with notes of mint, pepper, spices, and brown sugar. Each batch is a combination of 5-10 barrels, hand-labeled and numbered, and individually proofed.
One of the favorite cocktails made with Rye Whiskey is the “Old-Fashioned.”
To make it:
- Pour ¼ oz. simple syrup into a rocks glass
- Add 2 generous dashes of bitters
- Add 2 oz. rye whiskey
- Fill the glass with ice and stir for 20 second
- With a vegetable peeler, cut a long wide piece of peel from an orange
- Hold the colorful side down and pinch the peel using your thumb and forefinger and middle fingers of BOTH hands to express the peel’s oils onto the drink
- Then drag the oily side of the peel around the rim of the glass, finally placing it in the drink
- Garnish with an orange twist or cherry
Check out some other popular Holiday cocktail recipes.
Find more information on our MB Roland products here.
MB Roland Distillery is a completely “grain to glass” craft distillery located in Pembroke, KY. We use local white corn to hand make each of our products ranging from our very unique “distillation & barrel proof” Kentucky Bourbon to our naturally-flavored Kentucky Pink Lemonade. For more information, stop by and visit us or visit our website today.